Monday, September 22, 2008

The Litany of Humility

Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val was a Roman Catholic Cardinal in the very early part of the 20th Century. He served as secretary of the conclave of 1903 that elected Pope Pius X. Merry del Val was a very influential Cardinal and is given credit for encouraging Pope Pius X to accept his election as Pope. Rafael was born as Rafael María José Pedro Francisco Borja Domingo Gerardo de la Santísma Trinidad Merry del Val y Zulueta. At six years of age, he learned his full name by memorizing the acrostic using his initials with the phrase, “Roman men justifying puerile foolish behavior don’t get sacraments through my vestal zone.” Actually, I made that up. As a youth he shortened his name to Rudy. Actually, I made that up too. But I didn’t make up his full name. The blame for that belongs to his mother, father, grandparents, and god-parents.

The reason I mention Cardinal Merry del Val is that he wrote the “Litany of Humility.” This popular prayer found in many prayer-books is quite good. It expresses a desire for humility of the highest degree. It makes me question the sincerity of my own wishes to be humble. I supply the prayer here for your consideration and critique.

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
Others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I,
provided that I may become as holy as I should…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The name acrostic was hilarious. Love you daddy. :)