Monday, September 8, 2008

Judging Judy

The ease with which we quickly judge the stranger on the street is a testimony to the ample arrogance and pride present within us. The discipline required to avoid judging is an example of the strength and power of humility. One must be very humble to resist the urge to judge. Jesus asks, “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” I think we do that because our pride views our own faults through the wrong end of a telescope while looking at the faults of others through a microscope. Pride enables us to build up ourselves by tearing down others.

Attempting to stop judging others is an exercise in humility. I’m not going to judge. I’m not going to judge. Just when I tell myself, “I’m not going to judge” a young freakish looking teenager comes in to view with his hand on the crotch of his pants to keep them from falling down. I am not going to judge. I will not judge him. I am withholding judgment. I realize that I must try to have a positive thought about the teen to draw my focus away from his humongous speck. In the midst of my moment of misery a middle aged woman appears. Oh great! This woman looks like she has been living on a diet of Pop-Tarts and Twinkies. Her hugeness is not going to cause me to judge. I am not going to judge. I cannot judge her. It’s not going to happen. Breathe deeply. Look away. Ooops! I didn’t mean for my eyes to become fixed on a co-worker with whom I have had numerous problems. I am not going to judge even though a video tape is playing countless scenes in my head. Stop the tape! I will not judge. I will not judge!!!

Children. Let’s just watch the children. They are small and sweet. There isn’t anything about them that tempts me to judge. They are playful and beautiful, most of the time. Sometimes they can be way too rowdy and loud and disrespectful. That is because their parents don’t teach them right from wrong, or they are divorced, or they never married, or they’re vegetarians. Most parents are too selfish or too lazy to give their children the kind of love and spankings they deserve. That is why children become teens with their pants around their knees, or they put on pounds and pounds of ugly flesh, or become contentious coworkers. . . . But, I am not going to judge. I’m not. I’m too humble for that.

No comments: